Monday, August 6, 2012

Calamity Jane and the River Part One: As Good As it Ever Got

I fell in love with sailing when I was a teenager, but I didn't learn anything until last summer. I'll leave it to you to decide how much.

I went for a sail after work today. Though the wind was kicking, I managed a graceful launch from the beach and that's as good as it ever got. When my rudder fell off fifty feet from shore, I probably should have called it a day. But I'm not easily discouraged.  What happened twenty minutes later makes a good case for discouragement. 

It also made me wish I had remembered my whistle. The whistle that was a requirement for the Sunfish class I took last summer.  I did take a sailing class. A fact that you may find hard to believe by the end of this story.

I am nursing a  bloody 
knee and bruised ego, but it would have been a lot worse if not for my two heroes. One of whom is a ten year old boy who has a great story to tell his friends. The one about the crazy lady whom he and his dad rescued. Twice.  A story I will share with you in my next post. If the kid doesn't beat me to it. 

For now, I've taken up enough of your time and these near-death experiences can really exhaust a gal. I need a hot shower, a big glass of wine and a dry bed. 

No comments: